Instant coffee granules may seem like an odd ingredient to use in a meat rub, but we found that it actually deepens the flavor. The coffee also helps caramelize the steak’s surface, sealing in its natural juices and creating a tastier, more tender bite.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 3 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 12 Minutes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with a small whisk until blended. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper; rub steak with spice mixture. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Broil steak 4 inches from heat 12 minutes or until desired degree of doneness (do not turn steak). Remove steak from oven; loosely cover with foil, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.