- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tbsp unsalted, nondairy butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 yams (about 1 lb)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 bunch fresh watercress
- 2 cups coconut milk
- egg substitute (enough to replace 2 egg yolks)
How to Make It
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the garlic & onion, sauté over medium heat until garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the sweet yams and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes, until the yams are soft.
- Wash the watercress well. Save a handful of leaves to be used as a garnish later.
- Add the rest of the watercress and milk to the yams; simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Purée in batches in the blender, and then return to the pot.
- Heat until the first bubbles appear around the edge, Stir in the egg substitute until the soup thickens.