Simply blending cashews with broth and salt makes for a creamy, savory sauce that mimics the texture of sour cream or yogurt. It’s vegan and dairy-free without any tradeoffs in flavor. Drizzle the sauce over bowl meals or whole grains (here), or even spread it on bread as an alternative mayo. We’ve provided ideas for a few other variations: try it green by adding cilantro, or Mexican style with adobo sauce, cumin, and lime.
- 1¼ cups raw unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover them with water. Soak for 1 hour, then drain.
- Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend on high for 1minute. Stop, scrape, and add additional liquid if necessary to come to a creamy consistency. Blend for several minutes until creamy and smooth. If desired, add additional salt to taste.