This burger takes inspiration from the Orient, mixing black rice, black beans, savory shiitake, and hoisin sauce. You can make Hoisin Sauce at home or buy a quality brand from a natural food store or your local grocery store. The highly nutritious black rice is also called “forbidden rice” because in ancient times it was only allowed to be eaten by the emperor of China.
- Yield: 4 burgers
- 7 ounces (200 g) steamed broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- A drizzle of toasted sesame oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3½ ounces (100 g) shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup (200 g) cooked black rice
- 1 can (14 ounces, or 400 g) black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed with a fork
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (52 g) Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1½ cups (75 g) panko or fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 4 bread buns (For black buns.)
- Hoisin Sauce
- Fresh bean sprouts
To make the Spicy Broccoli
- Heat up a pan to high heat and flash-fry the broccoli quickly in a dry pan for a minute. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and a little salt, and drizzle with toasted sesame oil. Remove from the pan and keep covered until serving. To Make the Patties
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Fry the shiitake mushrooms for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine the mushrooms with the rest of the patty ingredients. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours covered.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each into a patty. Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Fry the patties for 2 to 4 minutes per side and serve immediately with a generous amount of Hoisin Sauce, Spicy Broccoli, bean sprouts, and mayo.