Rather than throw out overripe bananas, peel and freeze them to use later. Frozen bananas are a useful ingredient in bullet blender recipes and here, along with dates, nutty buckwheat and cocoa, they make for a sweet, chocolatey pancake without any added sugar.
- Yield: 10 Servings
- 100 g (3½ oz/1⅓ cups) plain yoghurt, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 200 g (7 oz/1½ cups) buckwheat flour
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon almond or flavoured nut oil
- 50 g (2 oz/1⅓ cups) chopped dates
- Fill the cup of your blender in the order opposite, leaving out the dates. Blitz for a few seconds, shake the cup and blitz again until you have a thick batter. Give the batter a stir, and add the dates.
- Blitz for a very few seconds to mix them up. Warm a non-stick frying pan (skillet) over a low medium heat for a few minutes before starting with your first pancake. Spoon a 7.5 cm (3 in) wide dollop of batter into the hot pan and leave to cook until you see bubbles coming to the surface on the uncooked side, then flip the pancake over to cook the other side. Repeat until you have used up all the batter – after the first one, which allows you to gauge cooking time and temperature of the pan, you should be able to cook several at once. Enjoy them hot with yoghurt and date syrup or fresh fruit, or leave them to cool and eat them like drop scones.