- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- 1 pound paneer, queso de freír, halloumi, or other appropriate
- cheese (see “Cheeses That Keep Their Shape During Cooking,”
- page 556) or 1 recipe Fresh Cheese, the Easy Way (page 568), cut
- into 1- to 1½-inch pieces
- 1 pound watermelon flesh, seeded and cut into 1- to 1½-inch pieces
- ½ pound cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint for garnish
How to Make It
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before cooking. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill or turn on the broiler to moderate heat; adjust the rack to 4 inches away from the heat source.
- Put a piece of cheese, then watermelon, then a cherry tomato on a skewer, and repeat in the same order. Put the finished skewers in a large baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put the skewers on the grill and cook until one side has grill marks and the watermelon has charred a little, then flip and cook the other side, 6 to 8 minutes total. Put the skewers on a serving platter. Sprinkle lemon juice over all and garnish with the mint. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- GRILLED FRESH CHEESE WITH FIGS Replace the watermelon with halved fresh figs (about 1 pound), and the cherry tomatoes with grapes. Replace the lemon juice and mint with 1 tablespoon honey and a pinch red chile flakes.