Khichadi is a popular North Indian dish.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 oz (90 g) potatoes or carrots
- 5 cups water
- salt to taste
- 8 oz (250 g) raw rice, washed and drained
- 4 oz (125 g) green gram dhal (skinned & split)
- 6 Tbs ghee
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp asafetida
- 2½ cm (1 in) piece ginger root, grated
- 15 curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
How to Make It
- Chop potatoes or carrots into small cubes and set aside.
- To make the tempering, heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot or pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds and when they turn golden brown add the asafetida, ginger, curry leaves, and turmeric powder. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes or carrots and mix well. Add the water and salt to taste, then the rice and green gram dhal. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover with the lid, and cook until t he green gram dhal becomes soft, 20-30 minutes in a pot or 4 minutes in a pressure cooker. Serve hot.