Evaporated milk provides richness in this classic mac.
- Yield: 12 to 15 Servings
- 1 (16-oz) package elbow macaroni
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 5 cups (20 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Place pasta in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk, 1½ cups water, salt, and pepper; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 18 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add 4 cups cheese; stir until cheese melts and sauce thickens. Pour cheese sauce evenly over pasta; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden.