Leeks and tatties (potatoes) are cheap and chunky to make a filling first course. Though this soup is simple, it is served at even the finest Burns Suppers.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 small onion (optional)
- 2 leeks
- 3 large potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 950 ml (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make It
- Wash and slice the leeks, discarding the thread-like ends on the white part. Chop the onions and dice finely. Wash, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Now in a large saucepan, slowly heat 2 tbsp of butter. Sauté the onions and the leeks until translucent (about 6 minutes) but be careful not to burn them. Stir in the potatoes and combine with the onions and leeks.
- Next, cook for about 2 minutes. Now, pour in the vegetable or chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and taking care not to burn the soup. Finally, remove from the heat and mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Spoon into warmed soup bowls and serve piping hot.