This mouth-wateringly tasty traditional Cornish pasty has always been a firm favourite with friends and family over the years. It is so simple and easy to make, especially using pre-made chilled pastry and so rewarding to eat. I hope you enjoy this delectable whole meal in one as much as I do.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- 1 lb (500 g) of good quality beef skirt, cut into 20 mm (3/4”)
- 1 lb (500 g) of potato, diced
- 8 oz (250 g) of swede, diced
- 8 oz (200 g) of swede, diced
- 8 oz (200 g) of sliced onion (optional)
- Salt and white pepper to season
- 1 beaten egg to glaze the pastry
- 2 blocks of 500 g (1 lb) chilled ready-made shortcrust pastry
- Pre-heat your oven to 165C (310F).
- Take the pastry blocks from the fridge and leave to reach room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out each block of pastry on a work surface lightly dusted with flour. Using a round plate - approximately 20cm (8”) in diameter, cut out 4 circles of pastry.
- Layer the vegetables and then place equal amount of meat on the top layer of each pasty. Add plenty of salt and white pepper over each layer that you build in at a ratio of about 2:1.
- Now fold over the top of the pastry circle on each pasty and starting at one end, crimp the pasty along the bottom of the case (not the top, as this will then become a Devon pasty!). Glaze with the beaten egg with a baking brush.
- Pierce small hole. Bake at 165C (310F) for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown.