- Yield: 4 Servingsas part of multicourse meal
- 2 lb (1 kg) Yukon gold potatoes (or Russet), scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole or skim milk
- Drizzle of truffle oil or good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
How to Make It
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water. Turn the heat to high and bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, until you can easily slip a paring knife in and out through the middle. Drain.
- Peel the potatoes. For the creamiest texture, pass the potatoes through a ricer or food mill into a bowl. Alternatively, you can use a handheld potato masher or just smash with a fork.
- In the same saucepan, heat the butter and the garlic over medium heat. Once the butter starts bubbling and the garlic is fragrant, whisk in the miso until it is completely incorporated into the butter. Whisk in about ¾ cup (185 ml) of the milk. Add the potatoes and stir. Add more milk, a little at a time, until you get the consistency that you want.
- Finish with just a little drizzle of truffle oil or extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on the chives.