This crunchy biscotti has a wonderful flavor and is perfect with a cup of hot tea or cocoa.
- Yield: 16 biscotti
- ¼ cup (60 ml) light olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup (28 g) flax meal
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill white or brown rice flour
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- ¾ cup (90 g) oat or sorghum flour
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking powder
- 1 cup (150 g) Enjoy Life Not Nuts! Mountain Mambo trail mix
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- With a mixer, combine oil, sugar, vanilla, applesauce, flax, and water and blend. Add rice flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking powder) and mix on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- In a food processor, pulse the trail mix a few times to achieve a mealy/crumbly texture. Stir the trail mix into the dough by hand.
- Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12 x 2 inches, 30 x 5 cm) on a cookie sheet lined with nonstick parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until logs are light brown around the edges. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 300°F (150°C, or gas mark 2).
- Cut logs on the diagonal into ¾-inch (1.9-cm) thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake for approximately 8 minutes on one side, then turn over and bake for 5 minutes on the other side, or until dry and crunchy. Let cool.