- Yield: 8 Servings
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet or Vidalia onions
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps, finely chopped
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ cup finely chopped fl at-leaf parsley
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheeses, parsley, egg yolks, salt, and Italian seasoning.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. With a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread and cut into 4 squares. Dip each square into the melted butter and place in a mini- muffin cup. Top each with a scoop of the mushroom mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool slightly and serve warm.