A classic Italian dish of Veal with veggies, white wine and beef broth. Delicious, hearty and simple to prepare.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 Hours
- 4 lbs veal shanks
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 cup white wine
- 8 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- On a cutting board, place veal shanks and make cuts in the edges to stop the meat from curling. Coat the shanks with the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the shanks on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add in the garlic, onions, carrots and celery and cook for 5-10 minutes or until soft, add in the wine and cook until evaporated. Add in the tomatoes, beef stock and shanks and bring mixture to a boil. Add in the fresh basil and parsley and season with salt and pepper, if needed. Lower the heat, cover skillet and simmer for about 1-2 hours or until the meat starts to come off the bone. Serve and enjoy!