- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- 8 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into segments
- 1 lemon juice
- 1½ cups (210 g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup (120 ml) cream
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
How to Make It
- Place 1½ cups (360 ml) water with the peaches, lemon juice, brown sugar, and cardamom in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Cover and cook the mixture for 5 minutes on low to release the juices before raising the heat to medium-high and bringing it to a boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the temperature to maintain a moderate simmer and cook it for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the nutmeg. Using a pastry blender or knife, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Blend in the cream with a wooden spoon to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough in half for easier handling and roll each piece into a log about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Using a knife, cut the logs into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces.
- After the peaches have simmered for 8 minutes, add the dough pieces to the simmering peaches. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook the mixture for 15 minutes. Avoid stirring during this time and watch carefully so the peaches don’t boil over.
- Serve the peaches and dumplings warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.