This mouth-wateringly tasty pasta dish is a firm favourite with friends and family. It is so simple and quick to make, yet so scrumptious to eat.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly ground sea salt
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) pine nuts
- 1 50 mm (2”) clump of fresh ginger grated finely
- 1 ml (¼) tsp mixed or red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 ml) fine bread crumbs (Panko bread crumbs are best)
- 1 cup (250 ml) good dry white wine
- ¼ lb (1 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup (165 ml) fresh basil leaves chopped finely
- Freshly ground black pepper to season
How to Make It
- Boil a large saucepan of salted water over high heat. Add the pasta. Cook, stirring often to prevent sticking, until the pasta is al dente according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and reserve in saucepan and cover with lid.
- Next, place a large frying pan over medium heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring continually until golden brown for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in the pan, then add the bread crumbs, and stir until golden and then add to the the pine nuts and mix together.
- Reduce the hob to medium and heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in the frying pan. Now add the ginger and sauté until soft for about 1 minute. Stir in the wine and pepper flakes and bring to the boil, reducing heat immediately and then simmer until liquid is reduced by a third.
- Finally, add the hot pasta along with the remaining 4 tbsp olive oil to the wine sauce in the pan and stir to completely coat the pasta. Now add the bread crumb and pine nut mix, the basil and cheese and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve equally in pasta bowls and eat immediately.