A great saviour on a busy week night. I promise, the mayhem caused when I cooked this for Kaye’s youngest daughter Bonnie was hard to credit. She loved the pitta pizza so much that she ate a real live olive! Apparently, she’s never done it since.
- Yield: 1 Serving
For the Base
- 1 pitta bread
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste or tomato purée
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Toppings (all optional)
- 2 slices of salami or ham, shredded
- 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced, or 50 g (13⁄4 oz) any grated cheese
- 1 egg (optional)
- a couple of black olives (optional)
- 1 tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs (optional)
- basil leaves (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat the grill to it highest setting and slice open the pitta bread.
- Spread the tomato paste equally on the 2 halves.
- Choose your toppings. Add shredded salami or ham, sliced or grated cheese, or even crack on an egg. Sprinkle with olives, or dried oregano or mixed herbs, or basil leaves, if you like.
- Drizzle your chosen toppings with a little olive oil and grill until golden and bubbly. This should take 4–7 minutes, but keep an eye on it as you don’t want the base or toppings to catch or burn.