- Yield: 18 nuggets
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
- 1¼ cups (250 g) mashed potatoes
- ⅔ cup/100 g leftover cooked vegetables, cubed (carrots, parsnips, red pepper, peas); or finely chopped raw broccoli, mushrooms, ham, or roast meat; or grated hard cheese (Comté, Cheddar, or Gruyère)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten until light and foamy
- ½ cup (50 g) breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes with your choice of leftovers until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and roll the mixture into small cylinders that will fit in the palm of your hand.
- Set up three plates and one bowl in front of you. Dust one plate with the flour, pour the egg whites into the bowl, and spread the breadcrumbs on a second plate. Leave the third plate empty.
- Roll the croquettes in the flour, dip them in the egg whites, and coat in the breadcrumbs. Place them on the clean plate.
- Grease a rimmed baking sheet with the oil and heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and carefully add all the croquettes. Bake for 10 minutes before flipping them and baking for 5 minutes more, until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately.