Sometimes a safe lollipop just doesn’t do the trick. That’s where these chocolate candies that replace the traditional Tootsie Roll come in. They are a wonderful trade for Halloween candies, or to hide in an Easter egg. As a bonus, this no-bake treat is fun to make with the kids.
- Yield: 24 candies
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (39 g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (36 g) Powdered Sugar
- 1¼ cups (190 g) powdered rice milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Combine the cocoa, powdered sugar, and ½ cup (76 g) of powdered rice milk in a medium bowl. Mix the ingredients together well and set it aside. This will be a very powdery mixture.
- In a large bowl, blend together the honey, shortening, and vanilla using a mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients, one third at a time, and blend on low speed until completely combined, about 5 minutes. Add up to ¼ cup (38 g) more powdered rice milk, if needed, until a thick candy dough ball forms.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of rice milk on a smooth prep surface. Place the candy dough ball on top.
- Work the remaining powdered milk into the candy ball with your hands, a little bit at a time by flattening the ball, adding powdered rice milk, massaging it into the dough with your hands, and rolling it into a ball. Repeat this process until you have used all of the rice milk or you can no longer manipulate the ball with your hands.
- Flatten the candy ball into a ½-inch (13 mm) thick rectangle. Let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use a sharp nonstick knife to cut the candies into desired size pieces. Roll them in any remaining powdered rice milk.
- Cut twenty-four 3-inch (7.5 cm) squares of wax paper. Wrap the candies individually in the papers and store them at room temperature for up to 2 months.