This is like eating the rainbow. Makes a good dish for a brunch, luncheon, or potluck.
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups kale (stripped from stalk, chopped into bite-size pieces, rinsed, and dried)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 mango, diced (1 to 1½ cups)
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (from ½ pomegranate), or ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup diced cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, and diced small (from about 1 cucumber)
- ½ cup shredded carrot (1 medium carrot, peeled)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice (from ½ orange)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
How to Make It
- Place the quinoa, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¾ cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low, cover, and cook for 12 to 13 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let the quinoa sit for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and set aside to cool completely.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the kale in a bowl. Add the olive oil and two pinches of salt and, with your hands, massage the kale for 2 to 3 minutes, rubbing the oil and salt into all the pieces. The kale will reduce in volume, turn a dark green, and soften.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, kale, blueberries, mango, pomegranate seeds, cucumber, carrot, and mint. Make the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange zest, lemon juice, orange juice, olive oil, and salt. When ready to serve, add to the quinoa mixture and toss gently to combine. If you dress only what you are eating that day, the salad will keep nicely for a few days.