- Yield: 3 to 4 Servings
- Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 335 g root vegetables, thinly sliced
- Solid cooking fat, for frying
- Sea salt
How to Make It
- Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a deep, heavy pot. Add enough solid cooking fat to make about 4 cm of melted fat. Heat over medium heat until the fat reaches 180°C. You want to be careful not to get the oil too hot, as it will burn the chips.
- Fry the vegetables in batches by type, as they have different cooking times depending on how much moisture they contain. When you first drop the vegetable slices in the oil they will bubble like crazy; after a minute or two of cooking, they will start to bubble less and puff up in the middle. At this point, carefully turn them, and continue cooking until the bubbling dies down a lot. When it is apparent they don’t have any moisture left, they are finished cooking.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt to taste. Bring the oil temperature back up to 180°C and continue in this fashion until all the chips are cooked.