- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 5 Hours
- Cooking Time: 5 Hours
- 1 oven-ready suckling pig (4½–5 kg/10–11 lb) olive oil, for frying
For the marinade
- 1 Orange juice
- 1 Lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) chicken stock
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) brandyc
- 2 tsp salt
- a pinch of white pepper
- 1 tsp pimentón dulce (sweet paprika)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
For the seasoning
- 1 oz (25 g) tomato puree
- juice & zest of one lime
- 1 tsp chopped fresh coriander
- pinch of powdered garlic
- 2 lb (1 kg) potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 lb (500 g) aubergine (eggplant), peeled & sliced into rounds
- 1 lb (500 g) red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb 8 oz (750 g) tomate frito
How to Make It
- Make the marinade by mixing together the orange, lemon, bay leaves, chicken stock, brandy, salt, pepper, paprika, chopped garlic cloves, and marinade the suckling pig for 6 hours.
- Put the suckling pig on an oven tray, cover with foil, and cook at 135°C (275°F) for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool. Reserve the juice from the meat, and put the suckling pig skin to one side, taking care not to break it. Remove all the meat from the suckling pig.
- To make the seasoning, mix together the tomato puree, lime, coriander and garlic with the reserved meat juice. Combine this with the meat, then press the meat between two baking trays to make a terrine, and leave to chill for 12 hours.
- Cut the terrine into rectangles, and then fry in olive oil in a non-stick frying pan until golden (about 3 minutes) and put to one side.
- Cut the large piece of pig skin into rectangles then, in a frying pan, lay one rectangle of pig skin between two sheets of greaseproof paper (to prevent sticking), and put a weight on it. Remove when golden. Repeat with all the rectangles.
- To make the tumbet, gently fry the potato rounds in olive oil and set aside. Then do the same with the aubergine (eggplant) slices, and then the chopped peppers. Make a terrine by layering the potato, pepper and aubergine slices with the tomate frito. Put a weight on top of the terrine and leave to chill for 12 hours.
- To serve, place a rectangle of crisped skin on top of a slice of the meat terrine. Add a slice of the tumbet terrine, and drizzle with the tomate frito.