For dinner one evening, try playing with a typical French bistro salad by poaching a few eggs, spooning them onto a bed of greens, and drizzling with Shallot Vinaigrette. If you are inclined to stay traditional, garnish with lardons—¼-inch strips of thick-cut bacon, cooked over medium heat until crisped. Pour yourself a glass of something cold, sit down with a cloth napkin, and notice the happiness your mouth feels when the eggs meet the salty-sweet dressing. You may decide to finish more of your days this way.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 TO 8 POACHED EGGS, DEPENDING ON HOW HUNGRY YOU ARE
- 3 OR 4 SLICES OF THICK-CUT BACON, IF THE MOOD
- EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE
- 2 HEADS OF ASSORTED GREENS, TORN
- 2 SHAVED RADISHES
- FLAKY SEA SALT, SUCH AS MALDON, TO FINISH
- ❶ Poach the eggs according to instructions. Hold them in cold water until ready to plate.
- ❷ If you’re adding lardons, slice the bacon into short ¼-inch strips. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and pour in enough oil to cover the bottom. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat has rendered and the strips are browned and crispy, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- ❸ Make the vinaigrette and toss the greens and radishes with a good drizzle of the dressing. Taste and add more if needed. Arrange on a large serving platter or individual plates. Sprinkle with Maldon salt.
- ❹ Gently lay the eggs on top of the salad and drizzle with a little extra dressing. Top with lardons if you like.