This is a super-easy salsa recipe great for those who are tomato overloaded, as the taste is distinctively different. A member of the nightshade family, tomatillos have much more of a tart flavor as compared to their other nightshade relatives (tomatoes in particular).
- 1 pound (450 g) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 white onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 jalapeño, roughly chopped
- 1 lime juice
- ½ cup (13 g) cilantro
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven broiler and line a sheet pan (cookie sheet) with aluminum foil.
- Cut tomatillos in half, and place tomatillos and onions on sheet pan in oven. Broil for 5–7 minutes or until slightly charred.
- Place tomatillos and onions in food processor along with the jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
- Pulse until salsa is desired consistency (you can add water if you like a slightly runnier salsa and yours is too thick).