I love sardines for their flavour but the great thing about sardines is that you can find them all around the world, they are affordable and also extremely good for your body. High in omega 3 fatty acids and is one of the oiliest fish species, they promote good brain function and heart health.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 8 large sardines or 12 smaller sardines, cleaned (see here)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 red chilli (chile), thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed but not skinned
- 10 sprigs of oregano
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slashes 2 cm/¾ inch apart in the flesh of the sardines on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Grease a roasting pan with olive oil and lay the sardines on it side by side. Scatter over the lemon slices, red chilli (chile) slices, garlic and most of the oregano, reserving a few sprigs for garnish. Drizzle 4 tablespoons of olive oil over the sardines and bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes. To check if the sardines are cooked, press the flesh gently and it should come away from the bones easily.
- Serve garnished with the reserved oregano sprigs.