Erin Sulley and her then co-host on Rogers TV’s Out of the Fog, Peter Walsh, joined us as guests on our second season of One Chef One Critic. Both Erin and Peter were delighted to learn we’d be preparing the traditional Newfoundland favourite, cod au gratin. The ingredients are simple, but when you lovingly combine fresh Newfoundland cod, butter, milk, and cheese, something very special can result.
- Yield: 4
- 2 Pounds (1 kg) fresh cod fillets
- 4 tablespoon (60 ml) butter
- 5 tablespoon (75 ml) flour
- 2 cups (500 m) whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) pepper
- 1½ cups (375 ml) cheddar cheese, yellow or white
- 4 individual baking dishes, greased
- Place cod in cooking pot and fill with enough water to cover fish. Bring water almost to boil. Turn heat back to medium low and allow fish to poach for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Flake fish and place equal amounts of cod in each baking dish.
- Heat butter in saucepan on medium. Gradually whisk in flour. Slowly add milk while whisking. Add salt and pepper and continue to cook until you have thickened sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Surround and cover cod with sauce. Sprinkle cheese over contents of all baking dishes. Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes.