Yet another classic protein dish takes the leap into being vegan! This full-flavor sauce perfectly coats the seitan and the slightly crisp vegetables.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- ¼ cup (35 g) raw cashews
- 1½ cups (355 ml) vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unsweetened plain vegan milk
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon (50 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 (each 4 ounces, or 113 g) Quit-the-Cluck Seitan cutlets, cut into quarters, or 12 nuggets
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) high heat neutral-flavored oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into ½-inch (1.3 cm) thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch (6 mm) thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) Hungarian paprika
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 3 tablespoons (48 g) tomato paste
How to Make It
- Bring the water to a boil in small saucepan. Add the cashews. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a small high-powered blender and add ¼ cup (60 ml) of broth, vinegar, milk, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Process until completely smooth and set aside.
- Combine the flour with a pinch of salt and pepper on a shallow plate. Dredge the seitan in the flour to cover completely. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the seitan (in batches) for 4 to 6 minutes, until browned. Turn over and cook the second side for 3 to 5 minutes until also browned. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions to the same skillet, scraping any bits from the bottom. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes until softened. Add the bell pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. The pepper should still have some crunch. Add the garlic, paprika, and caraway seeds, and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1¼ cups (295 ml) broth, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened. Add the cashew mixture, stirring to combine. Add the seitan pieces and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes until heated throughout. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve over pasta or a grain, if desired.