I admit, when we were shooting these pictures, I was turning my nose up, but I wolfed the lot. This really punches above its weight. The sauce is so flavoursome one of my favourites. I now have a wee stash of jars of clams always on hand which, for a girl brought up on spaghetti hoops and toast, is quite something.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 lb (450 g) dried spaghetti
- 2 x 250 g jars clams in brine (vongole), drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- handful of parsley leaves, chopped (optional)
- Pour the oil into a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the garlic, stirring the whole time, until translucent but not brown.
- Now tip in the chopped tomatoes and cook over a medium-low heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the oil and tomatoes have separated.
- After the tomato sauce has been cooking for about 10 minutes, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Once the tomato sauce is cooked, add the clams and cook gently until heated through, seasoning well.
- Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce, and toss very well.
- If you have some parsley, stir it in now. Please find some!