- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 recipe quantity French Fries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 half-chickens
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe quantity Celery Root & Carrot Coleslaw, to serve
For the Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked sea salt or sea salt, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
For the Smoky Bacon Mix
- 8 strips of pancetta, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
How to Make It
- Start soaking, then cooking the french fries. Meanwhile, mix together all the spice rub ingredients. Put the half-chickens in a roasting pan and rub the mixture all over. Cover and let marinate 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To make the smoky bacon mix, heat the broiler to high, then broil the pancetta for about 5 minutes until very crisp. Drain well on paper towels, then let cool. Put in a small blender with the remaining smoky bacon mix ingredients and blitz to a fine powder.
- Heat the oil in a ridged grill pan over high heat, add the chicken halves in batches and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until colored, then transfer to a roasting pan and roast 8 to 10 minutes until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, finish cooking the french fries. Season the french fries with a little salt, then sprinkle the smoky bacon crumb generously over the french fries. Serve the chicken with the smoky-bacon fries and coleslaw.