- Yield: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 8 white asparagus spears
- 3 eggs
- Scant ½ cup milk
- Small bunch of chives, finely chopped
- 8 slices of Bayonne ham or prosciutto
How to Make It
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Trim the tough ends from the asparagus spears and peel the lower part about 2 inches up the stem. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and blanch for 4 to 5 minutes, until they are just tender (test with a sharp knife). Plunge into the ice water.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, chives, and a pinch of salt. When the pan is hot, remove from the heat, pour in a small ladleful of the egg mixture, and quickly swirl around the pan to make a large pancake. Return the pan to the heat and cook for a couple of minutes. Using a palette knife, gently peel back the pancake and turn it over. Cook for another couple of minutes, or until lightly golden. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Keep the pancakes on a plate and cover with foil while you make the rest.
- Cut each pancake in half and wrap one half and a slice of Bayonne ham around each asparagus stem. This can be cooked a day in advance, kept in the refrigerator, and eaten cold.