The perfect cheese board looks simple at a glance, but selecting the right cheeses and accoutrements can be tricky. We recommend finding 4 to 5 different cheeses that fit a loose theme: like 5 different cheddar cheeses or 4 French-made cheeses. For this one, we’ve gone global and picked contrasting cheeses from different regions: pungent, mild, soft, and hard. When purchasing cheese, note that smaller independent cheese shops or gourmet groceries tend to have more options than the standard supermarket cheese counter, without much of a difference in cost. For the accoutrements, a variety of fruits, nuts, olives, and bread can be so satisfying you hardly feel the need to eat dinner at all.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 ounces American artisanal goat cheese
- 4 ounces English white Cheddar or French blue cheese
- 4 ounces Spanish manchego cheese
- 4 ounces Italian aged Parmesan, Asiago, or Pecorino cheese
- Crostini or assorted crackers
- Spicy mustard
- Apricot jam, citrus marmalade, or other locally made
- Seedless grapes
- Sliced apples
- Dried figs
- Mixed pickles (see Crunchy Dill and Curry Cauliflower Quick Pickles)
- Olives (see Rosemary Olives with Lemon Zest) Salted almonds
- About 1 hour before serving, remove the cheese from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Serve with accoutrements.
- GF* For gluten-free, use gluten-free crackers or bread.
- V* For vegan, consider a high-quality vegan cheese (ask your grocer for recommendations).