Kimchi is a traditional Korean side dish that is made of salted and fermented vegetables. I love the heat that comes along with the fermented cabbage. If you can be patient, this is a very easy recipe you’ll love to make and share.
- Yield: 2 ¼ cups
- 1 head Napa cabbage, cut into quarters or 2-inch wedges, depending on size of cabbage
- 1 daikon radish peeled and sliced thin
- ½ cup sea salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons Korean red pepper flakes
How to Make It
- Place cabbage and radish into your Instant Pot and sprinkle with sea salt. Mix thoroughly with your hands. Press Yogurt Less Heat function. Lock lid and close vent. Allow to sit for 2 hours. QPR any pressure that might have built up. Press Cancel when complete.
- Thoroughly rinse your cabbage under cold running water. We’re trying to remove as much salt as we can. Allow to sit in a colander to drain for at least 20 minutes.
- Place cabbage back into your Instant Pot. Add all other remaining ingredients and mix well and slowly. We are trying to infuse the flavor of the Korean pepper flakes into your cabbage and radish. Press mixture firmly into pot. Place a steamer basket on top and add a little weight to help keep your mixture a little pressed. I used a round 7-cup Pyrex dish on top of a trivet to keep it weighted down.
- Press Yogurt button Less Heat. Lock lid and close vent. Allow to sit for 3–4 days. Once every 24 hours, QPR any pressure that might have built up. Remove lid, and firmly press cabbage into liquid. When fermentation is done, place in the fridge to chill and eat when you’re ready.