Tomatillo “chow chow” is a condiment that you’re going to love to have on hand when making Tex-Mex food, or just to add a little pizzazz to any dish you’re making.
- Yield: 2 ½ cups
- 2 pounds chopped tomatillos
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 2 cups Vidalia sweet onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon molasses
How to Make It
- In a blender, add tomatillos, red bell pepper, jalapeño peppers, and onions. Pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to your pot. Stir in salt. Press Yogurt button Less Heat. Allow to sit overnight covered with the lid. You can leave the vent open.
- Discard any liquid in the pot. You can use a wooden spoon to press liquid out. Add in all remaining ingredients. Press Sauté button. Allow mixture to come to a boil. Stir occasionally. You want the liquid in the pot to evaporate.
- Transfer to jars with a lid. Allow to cool to room temperature. Transfer to the fridge.