This quick recipe is loaded with beans and rice, making this soup a filling one-dish meal. Mashing the beans slightly adds body.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 3 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 11 Minutes
- 2 bacon slices, cut crosswise into thin strips
- ½ cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning (such as McCormick)
- 1 (16-ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained (such as Bush’s)
- 1 (8.8-ounce) package microwaveable precooked whole-grain brown rice (such as Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make It
- Cook bacon and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat 2 minutes.
- While bacon mixture cooks, place broth in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- Add hot broth and jerk seasoning to bacon mixture. Stir in beans, mashing slightly. Cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in rice; cover and simmer 3 minutes. Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls; sprinkle with cilantro.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.