- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 200 g chicken breast fillet
- Oil spray
- Lime wedges, to serve
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ fresh red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons reduced-salt tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Rice & Beans
- 60 g brown rice
- 120 ml light coconut milk
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 150 g tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
How to Make It
- To make the jerk marinade, place the onion, spring onion, chilli, garlic, ginger, thyme, tamari or soy sauce, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and lime juice in a food processor and process into a smooth paste. Pour into a shallow baking dish. Wearing disposable kitchen gloves, place the chicken in the baking dish and rub with the marinade. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight to marinate.
- To make the rice and beans, bring the rice, coconut milk, spring onion, garlic, thyme and 80 ml of water to the boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 20–25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat, stir through the kidney beans, then leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the salsa, place the mango, onion, coriander, lime juice, orange juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and gently stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a barbecue grill plate or chargrill pan over high heat. Place the chicken on the grill-plate and brush with the marinade. Grill for 5–6 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 5–6 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside to rest.
- To make the lime yoghurt, place the yoghurt, lime zest and juice in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- To serve, place the rice and bean mixture in two serving bowls. Top with the chicken and mango salsa. Drizzle over the yoghurt sauce and serve with lime wedges.