Hands down, without a doubt, this is my absolute favorite cake in the world! It is so moist and delicious, with an incredibly crunchy top. I swear, the longer you keep it, the better it gets! No mixer is required, so cleanup’s a breeze.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups ½-inch pieces of peeled and cored apples
- (preferably Winesap)
- 1 cup black walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 10-inch tube pan with Pan Grease (this page) or a thin layer of shortening with a light dusting of flour.
- In medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until well blended and light yellow in color, 3 minutes. Whisk the flour mixture into the bowl; the batter will be very stiff. Using a spatula, fold in the apples, walnuts, and coconut. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly (it will be very thick).
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes before removing it from the pan.