- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 cup dry high-fiber elbow macaroni noodles
- 1 large egg
- 0.125 cup unsweetened almond milk (or low-fat milk)
- 0.175 teaspoon dry mustard (or ½ teaspoon prepared mustard)
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup low-fat cottage cheese (or 1 ounce reduced-fat cream cheese)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs, optional
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray 4 individual baking dishes (or one medium baking dish) with cooking spray. Place the baking dishes on a rimmed baking sheet (for easy removal from the oven). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove the cauliflower, reserving the water, and place cauliflower in a blender or food processor. In the same water add the pasta. Cook the pasta until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside. Return the empty pot to the stovetop and turn the heat down to low. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, almond milk, dry mustard, and garlic powder. Pour the egg mixture, ¾ cup Cheddar, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper into the pot. Over low heat, cook the cheese and egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the cheeses melt and the sauce begins to thicken, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Place the cheese sauce into the blender or food processor with the cauliflower and blend until smooth. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir. Divide the macaroni and cheese between the baking dishes. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup Cheddar, bread crumbs if desired, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan evenly over each dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bread crumbs and Parmesan become golden brown.