- Yield: 4 Servings
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) buttermilk
- 150 g (5 oz/1 cup) fine cornmeal (or polenta if you can’t
- get hold of cornmeal)
- 100 g (3½ oz) butter, softened, plus 40 g (1½ oz) for cooking
- 3 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar
- 50 g (2 oz/1⅓ cups) frozen sweetcorn
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chilli flakes
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F/Gas 8). Put the ingredients into the cup of your blender in the order opposite (except for the butter for cooking), put the lid on and give it a shake. Blitz for 20 seconds, shake or stir the contents and blitz again until you have a smooth, fairly liquid batter.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small ovenproof frying pan (skillet) until it starts to foam. Pour the batter into the melted butter – it should fill the pan to just below the rim. Put the pan into the hot oven and cook for 25–30 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown on top. Once it’s done, remove the cornbread from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before lifting out of the pan and enjoying dunked into a chilli or served with guacamole and eggs.