These dairy-free cookies are made with coconut oil and sweetened with maple syrup, dried apricots, apple, and carrot. They’re great for breakfast on the go.
- Yield: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- ⅔ cup flaxseed
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅔ cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 sweet, crisp apple, cored and coarsely grated
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ grated orange zest plus 3 tablespoons juice
- ¼ cup dried coconut shavings
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the flaxseed into a food processor or blender and process to a fine powder, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the flour, oats, and baking powder, followed by the ginger and cinnamon, and stir well. Add the dried apricots, apple, carrot, and pecans and stir again.
- Warm the coconut oil in a small saucepan (or in the microwave for 30 seconds) until just liquid. Remove from the heat, then stir in the maple syrup and orange zest and juice. Pour this into the carrot mixture and stir until you have a soft dough.
- Spoon 12 mounds of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, then flatten them into thick 3-inch diameter circles. Sprinkle with the coconut shavings, then bake for 15–18 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve warm or let cool, then pack into a plastic container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.