The combination of chocolate, coconut and nut butter is completely irresistible, which is probably why it’s impossible to make a batch of these bars last for more than a few days! I used almond butter because of my allergy to peanuts, but feel free to replace it with peanut butter if that’s what you have on hand! They’ll be just as soft, chewy and indulgently healthy.
- Yield: 12 bars
- ½ cup (160 g) brown rice syrup
- ½ cup (128 g) almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup (80 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (90 g) unsweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
- 2 tbsp (14 g) coconut flour
- ½ cup (90 g) vegan dark chocolate chips or chunks
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Line an 8 x 8-inch (20.3 x 20.3-cm) baking pan with a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Set aside.
- Add the brown rice syrup and almond butter to a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for about 1 minute or until the ingredients are fully melted and combined. Alternatively, you could melt the ingredients on the stove top in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the vanilla and salt, and mix until smooth.
- Add the oats, shredded coconut and coconut flour, and mix until everything is fully combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and use a spatula or your hands to spread it out evenly, making sure to press down firmly. Set aside.
- Add the chocolate chunks and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 30-second intervals, mixing between each round. When the chocolate is fully melted and smooth, drizzle it over the top of the bars and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with additional shredded coconut, if desired.
- Cover the pan with a sheet of foil and place it into the fridge or freezer until the chocolate has set.
- When the bars have set, remove them from the pan using the foil overhang and use a sharp knife to cut them into 12 individual bars. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.