This simple toasted-bread appetizer comes together quickly yet looks impressive as part of a brunch spread. Nova lox pairs beautifully with tangy goat cheese and salty capers, and a sprinkling of caraway gives a flavor evocative of freshly baked rye bread.
- Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
- 1 large whole wheat baguette, sliced into 36 ⅜-inch-thick slices
- 0.125 cup (6 ounces) soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole caraway seeds*
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Nova lox
- 0.25 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- Preheat broiler to high. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly golden and toasted.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of goat cheese on each slice of bread; sprinkle with caraway seeds. Top each toast with a few cucumber slices and a piece of salmon. Finish with a pinch of red onion and a sprinkle of capers.