A balanced salad is a beautiful thing and can make even the most devoted salad hater a lover. When perfectly constructed, a salad will have just the right amount of crunch, saltiness, and tang. The dressing for this salad is tart and sweet, making it a great match with salty prosciutto and crunchy vegetables. Store the dressing in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to three days. As the dressing sits, the ground flax will make it thick. If necessary, thin with more oil or a little water before using.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon toasted flax seeds, coarsely ground
- 2 dates, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small head Bibb lettuce, leaves torn
- ½ small head frisée, leaves torn
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced
- ½ shallot, thinly sliced
- 0.33 cup toasted hulled pumpkin seeds
- 2 ounces prosciutto, torn
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, flax seeds, and dates in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the asparagus in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Toss together the dressing, asparagus, Bibb lettuce, frisée, cucumber, shallot, pumpkin seeds, and prosciutto. Season with salt and pepper.